Step up for Munster
- Is Munster your home province?
- Are you an experienced and well-equipped hillwalker / mountaineer?
- Can you self-navigate confidently through rugged and exposed terrain in any weather using a hardcopy paper map and compass?
- Would you like to represent Munster in an all-Ireland sport?
If you answered yes to all four of the above questions, we invite you to #StepUpForMunster in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Sports Competitions. For a chance to become a member of your province's sport hillwalking team, you must take part in the All-Ireland Individuals Highpointeering League and / or the All-Ireland Individuals Mountain Race. The Irish sport hillwalking competition season runs between the Spring Equinox and Autumn Equinox each year (late March - late September). Any unscheduled postponements or stoppages during the competition season will be noted on our sports competition status page. Participants are required to log relevant location visits using the Peakhunter smartphone app AND register entries with us via our online sports competition forms no later than 30th September.
During October, the five highest point-scoring individuals representing Munster in the Highpointeering Leagues will be identified as the province's official team in the All-Ireland Provinces Highpointeering League. Their scores added together will become the province's overall score in the League. The fastest five hillwalkers representing Munster in the Mountain Race will be identified as the province's official team in the All-Ireland Provinces Mountain Race. Their times added together will become the province's overall time in the Race. The overall winner of the All-Ireland Hillwalking Provinces Championship will be identified based on combined performances in the Highpointeering League and Mountain Race.
To represent Team Munster, you must also be representing one of its 6 county teams:
Further information about the All-Ireland Hillwalking Sports Competitions can be found via the buttons below:
Encourage the team
Even if you are not participating in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Sports Competitions, we invite you to encourage your province's sport hillwalking team on social media. All you need to do is post this page's URL on Facebook or Twitter (the image below containing your province's location map and hashtag will automatically appear in the post). And don't forget to include #StepUpForMunster in the post's text.
The 2021 All-Ireland sport hillwalking competitions were scheduled to start on 20th March but have been postponed due to the travel restrictions which are in place to minimise the spread of Covid-19. Click here to find out how you can take part. The next results will be announced in October 2021. Munster's previous competition placings are listed below.
2020 - WINNERS
- Dillon Lynch (HL & MR)
- Patrick O'Brien (HL & MR)
2020 - WINNERS (1,048 points)
- Dillon Lynch (358 points)
- Patrick O'Brien (355 points)
- Josephine O'Brien (202 points)
- Johnny O'Brien (113 points)
- Patrick Boland (20 points)
2019 - WINNERS (2,013 points)
- Michéal O Riabhaigh (532 points)
- Patrick O'Brien (441 points)
- Dillon Lynch (418 points)
- Josephine O'Brien (324 points)
- Johnny O'Brien (298 points)
2018 - WINNERS (1,527 points)
- Dillon Lynch (439 points)
- Josephine O'Brien (394 points)
- Patrick O'Brien (379 points)
- Johnny O'Brien (315 points)
2017 - WINNERS (1,159 points)
- Tommy Vaughan (206 points)
- Dillon Lynch (184 points)
- Patrick O' Brien (170 points)
- Marian Houlihan (165 points)
- Johnny O'Brien (159 points)
- Josephine O'Brien (156 points)
- Cleo Goodall (119 points)
2020 - WINNERS (184hrs 47mins)
- Dillon Lynch (92hrs 9mins)
- Patrick O' Brien (92hrs 38mins)