Does your province have what it takes to become an Irish hillwalking team champion? If so, we are delighted to offer you that chance. The All-Ireland Hillwalking Provinces Championship is the ultimate outdoor sports competition contested in the Irish uplands. It is free to enter and is open to all experienced hillwalkers.
For a chance to become a member of your province's Sport Hillwalking team, you must compete in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Championships as an individual (click here for participation instructions).
Find out when the current or upcoming championships are taking place by visiting our sports competition status page. The Sport Hillwalking season is scheduled to start on 1st March and end on 31st October each year.
The following process is used to decide all province team placings in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Provinces Championship:
- All submitted Championship Entry Forms are checked in early November.
- Each competitor's overall individual score is tallied (i.e. Rounds 1 - 4 points plus bonus points).
- Competitors are sorted into the provinces they are representing.
- Each province represented by 2 or more of individuals qualifies as a team in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Provinces Championship.
- The 5 highest individual scores from each province are added together to become that province's official team score.
- If a province team has 2 - 4 members, each of the 1 - 3 empty slots equates to an individual score of zero.
- Provinces are placed in order according to their overall team score, from the highest-scoring province to the lowest.
- The highest-scoring province team is the Champion.
- We aim to announce a full set of results across all categories in mid-November.
- The 2022 All-Ireland Hillwalking Provinces Championship is scheduled to start on 1st March.
- Click here for participation instructions.
- Results will be announced in November 2022.