Does your county have what it takes to become an Irish hillwalking team champion? If so, we are delighted to offer you that chance. The All-Ireland Hillwalking Counties Championship is the ultimate outdoor sports competition contested in the Irish uplands. It is free to enter and is open to all experienced hillwalkers.
For a chance to become a member of your county's Sport Hillwalking team, you must compete in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Championships as an individual (click here for participation instructions).
Find out when the current or upcoming championships are taking place by visiting our sports competition status page. The Sport Hillwalking season is scheduled to start on 1st March and end on 31st October each year.
The following process is used to decide all county team placings in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Counties Championship:
- All submitted Championship Entry Forms are checked in early November.
- Each competitor's overall individual score is tallied (i.e. Rounds 1 - 4 points plus bonus points).
- Competitors are sorted into the counties they are representing.
- Each county represented by 2 or more of individuals qualifies as a team in the All-Ireland Hillwalking Counties Championship.
- The 5 highest individual scores from each county are added together to become that county's official team score.
- If a county team has 2 - 4 members, each of the 1 - 3 empty slots equates to an individual score of zero.
- Counties are placed in order according to their overall team score, from the highest-scoring county to the lowest.
- The highest-scoring county team is the Champion.
- We aim to announce a full set of results across all categories in mid-November.
- The 2022 All-Ireland Hillwalking Counties Championship is scheduled to start on 1st March.
- Results will be announced in November 2022.
|1st||COUNTY CORK||955 points||GOLD|
|2nd||COUNTY TIPPERARY||324 points||SILVER|
|3rd||COUNTY MEATH||175 points||BRONZE|